Birthdays only come around once a year, and I’ve never been big into celebrating mine and exclaiming to everyone that it’s my birthday, so this year I was pleasantly surprised when I opened my facebook account and saw all the well wishes that had been left for me there. I don’t mean to sound selfish here, but there is just something special about people rejoicing in the fact that you’re alive. I’m going to steal this from a fellow blogger now, but she said exactly what I was feeling. “Why should I feel bad that other people take joy in who I am? Instead of being filled-to-overflowing by a little loving from people, why do I try to brush it off or nullify it?” There is nothing inherently bad with letting people rejoice over you, it’s when we loose the humbleness aspect and let it go to our head to create a superficial version of ourselves that it becomes a bad thing.
Even Jesus rejoices over us and takes delight in us. Psalm 149:4 states “For the Lord takes delight in his people; he crowns the humble with victory.” Why should we not take joy in the fact that the greatest person in the universe chooses to rejoice in our lives even though we are sinners that have to be saved by his grace? (Romans 3:23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God).
Sometimes in the midst of all the craziness of life, it can be difficult to remember to be grateful, so here is a list of 20 things that I am grateful for in my 20 years of life.
I am grateful for…
- chocolate, because chocolate always understands.
- warm blankets to snuggle under during the chilly winter days.
- the piano because it always relaxes me.
- the guy friends in my life who show me daily what it looks like to be a man after God’s own heart.
- the women in my life who demonstrate what it looks like to walk with God.
- my family because they have always loved me no matter how crazy I am sometimes. 🙂
- Walt Disney because he created Mickey Mouse.
- all the people I met in the Wisconsin Dells last summer.
- those beautiful spring days when all the flowers are blooming…despite my allergies. 🙂
- hypoallergenic dogs because they’re adorable…especially mine. 🙂
- the opportunity to receive a higher education.
- books by C.S. Lewis because he always knows how to say it.
- roommates who are better at baking than I am. 😉
- swing music because it’s the only music I know how to dance to.
- my friends who introduced my to Dr. Who because it’s just awesome.
- lazy summer days spent outside.
- frozen pizza…because some days I just don’t feel like cooking.
- coffee. ‘nough said.
- everyone who has invested in me to make me who I am today.
- my Healer, Protector, Warrior, Lover, Savior, and Lord.